Monday, May 13, 2013

Being Quiet

Today I have felt a sense of urgency to do something. Maybe because its the last day of our 10 day long holiday. Maybe because I'm heading back to work tomorrow. Maybe because I don't want to waste any of this time... but God is doing something different.

I know He is putting on my heart, like I said in my last blog post, to be SUBMERGED in Him. I am trying to do this. I am taking action and filling my heart and my mind with the things of God. But still, God is doing something different. 

Being a full time working mom to a two and a four year old leaves little to no quiet time. Here I am, with everyone asleep, and I'm lost! (typical.) Over the past 24 hours I have sat down to read/write multiple times. Every time my brain just stops! I have began 3 blogs, picked up 3 different books, all to just stop. I've gone from a Tozer book, to Ezekiel, to a book on marriage, to a blurb I started on The Holy Spirit. Everything just turns into a dead end. Its just not right! So, You tell me, God. What exactly is it You want me to do with this time. 

... and that's what I heard. Be quiet.

Its amazing the things God can do in the quiet.


...


Isn't prayer often a one sided conversation?

We have something we need, or something someone else needs, and we take the prayer time to ask God of it. We bring our laundry list of chores to God. Yes, we will throw in somethings we are thankful for so we don't seem selfish, but when do we just sit quietly, with open hearts before God?

Maybe you do this all the time? Maybe its just me? But in reality, I think its a healthy reminder of how our relationship with God should be!


How easy is it for us to be distracted?

Just think about your thoughts as you go to bed at night. The things that flood my brain involve the events of the day, the things to come tomorrow, things I wasn't able to to get done, chores, bills, events at work, my children's futures, our future, my family members, friends, recipes/crafts I want to try, things I need to improve, goals I want to accomplish. The list is infinite!

Seriously, just... be... quiet...



...



When I close off my brain, and shoo out the distractions, these are the things I have heard God say to me today.

I am great.
“Look, God is greater than we can understand.
    His years cannot be counted.
27 He draws up the water vapor
    and then distills it into rain.
28 The rain pours down from the clouds,
    and everyone benefits.
29 Who can understand the spreading of the clouds
    and the thunder that rolls forth from heaven?
30 See how He spreads the lightning around Him
    and how it lights up the depths of the sea.
31 By these mighty acts He nourishes the people,
    giving them food in abundance."

                                                 -Job 36:26-31



I love you.
"The Lord your God is in your midst,
   a Mighty One who will save; 
He will rejoice over you with gladness;
    He will quiet you by His love;
He will exult over you with loud singing."                                                 -Zephaniah 3:17



I am faithful.
"Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
    for His compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
    great is Your faithfulness.
24 I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;
    therefore I will wait for Him.”

                                                 -Lamentations 3:22-24


Be Quiet.
38 As Jesus and the disciples continued on their way to Jerusalem, they came to a certain village where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. 39 Her sister, Mary, sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to what he taught. 40 But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.” 41 But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! 42 There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”
                                                 -Luke 10:38-42



Lord!
Thank You for the quiet! Thank You for the reminder to hush our hearts so that we can hear the encouragement from You heart. How easy it is to just sit before You and listen. Why do we forget to do that? Help us to be like Mary! We as women are being taught to be like Martha. To serve, and rush, and cook, and prepare, and create! (things which we love and we know are good things but only in moderation!) Tap us on the shoulder when we are being too caught up in our check list and the things that demand our attention! We don't want to be stressed and distracted and frustrated and right now we acknowledge that the lack of quietness before You is likely the cause. Thank You for Your promise in Isaiah 58:9 "Then when you call, the Lord will answer.‘Yes, I am here,’ He will quickly reply." 






Let us remember when our minds get so busy and distracted and worked up what Psalm 116:7 says:
"Return to your rest, my soul, for the Lord has been good to you."

Sincerely,
Jen


No comments:

Post a Comment