Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Shore Line

Well, we are own our way back home from our first week long vacation as a family. It has been a much needed time of chillaxin. No rules. No itinerary. No plans. Just taking it easy, visiting with friends, eating good foods, enjoying the beautiful California weather. We have had lots of good conversations with friends this trip, discussing a lot of what God is doing in our hearts and families and churches.

Yesterday, we spent the day at Coronado Beach. It was cool and sunny and beautiful!!! When we were leaving, a thought occurred to me. Even though my kids were soaked and covered in sand, I was only wet up to my thighs. I didn't really even have to change my clothes. Why did I put my swim suit on?

God is like the Ocean. He is magnificently larger that our minds comprehend. We are surrounded by Him. We can enjoy His presence by being around Him, like a day at the beach.

- We can dress like we're going to play in the ocean without even getting wet at all!! Like those that play the role of a devoted Christ Follower, but never actually surrender over to Him.

- We can splash our feet around at the shore line without getting too far out. When we do that, do we comprehend His greatness!?!?! We are robbing ourselves of a completely submerged Christian life.

We can even recreationally surf the waves of God. We can spend our free time relaxing and enjoying ourselves.

... But I think God is beaconing more to us. I believe God is calling us to submerge ourselves deeply within Him. He is calling us to dive down to the depths of His heart and to search Him for all the amazing majesty of Who He is!!

We had a chance to visit with our friend JJ while in San Diego. Ricky and I were his youth leaders when he was in junior high and now his is in his 20s serving in the Navy. He was telling us about serving on the submarine, how they would descent and be below the water for weeks, even months!!! We had the chance to tour a submarine at the San Diego Maritime Museum. (We were not down there for long since Charlee was nervous down there. Ok maybe me too) You have to have some serious dedication to be submerged for that period of time in that confined of a space!! But the payout is worth it.

Just as in our spiritual life, I want to be submerged. I want to experience and explore the wonders of God. This has to be done daily. Not just on Sundays at church. Not just in a prayer before mealtime. This is a daily commitment to be submerged in Jesus. Real life actions of this are to focus my brain and heart on Him first thing when I wake up. (Not surfing whatever social network may be distracting me at the time) This starts with committing that time it read the Bible. It's refocusing our heart on God in quiet inward prayer throughout the day. It's becoming more aware of His continual presence wherever we are. It's about discussing and surrendering everything to Him, not just in trial and disparity. It's finding His glory in everything around us. It's being quiet. It's being loud. It's standing up and it's laying face down.


Lord, I want to complete submerge myself in You! I commit to this for my heart and my self. I want this for no other reason than to know You. When Moses experience You, He wanted more. (Exodus 33-34) We want You, God. We see how dry and depraved this Christian life can be without being submerged. We want to get ourselves out of the way for You to work!!! We want You to be greater and us to be less. So here I am. Dedicating to search You out until I have come to know all of You that I can. And I know that will be accomplished when I get to see You in Paradise, face to face.

Sincerely,
Jen




Check out our vacation pictures at:
http://instagram.com/mrsironbear














No comments:

Post a Comment