Tuesday, August 5, 2014

I wish I had her life

So, yesterday was a grouchy Monday. I talked with Ricky after the girls got in bed to try to articulate my feelings of the day.  Words like "frustrated" and "isolated" were at the top of the list. After going to part time last year, and coveting the life of a SAHM (stay at home mom) I am now facing the struggles that I used to scoff at. I thought to myself, "I would never feel that way if I got to stay home with my girls! I would be so grateful that nothing would get to me! Every day will be filled with baking, and book reading, and playing games and enjoyment!"

That's not real life. After 12 weeks of maternity leave, I have learned all too well the real frustrations of a SAHM. My kids wake up grouchy. (Seriously, like almost every single day!) My kids are demanding. My kids don't get along very often without the help of a referee. My kids can be selfish, and have attitudes and be straight up liars. Mommies, though quite resiliant, can only handle so much of their shenanigans. 

So last night I was discussing with Ricky what I could do to ensure this day is fun. We discussed things like taking them to the Library to work on our school stuff, even maybe the splash pad? (but come on its 115 and i have a little baby!) When the time came to wake up this morning and take Ricky to work so I would have the car, I could. not. get. up. I almost then just accepted defeat for the day. The girls woke up in their usual bad moods, starting of their first words of the morning by yelling at each other. We had some breakfast and the girls asked to watch a movie. Of course, the rule is they have to agree on a movie. They picked one they've seen at least 78 times "Princess and the Popstar" and I thought, I can tolerate that!

Have you seen it? Its actually pretty good! Its based on the Mark Twain book "Prince and the Pauper." Well, the opening song is a duet sung by the Princess Tori and the Popstar Kiera, singing "I wish I had her life." They both thought their life would be so much better if they were in the other's positiion. All their troubles would go away! The stress of the life that they were in would be alleviated if they were really living someone else's life. My jaw litterally dropped as this song from a Barbie movie resonated deep inside of my heart. God then reminded me, I need to have a heart like Paul's:

"I’ve learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I’m just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I’ve found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in Christ who makes me who I am." (Philippians 4:11-13 MSG)

There's not much more to say after that! ... except to just carry on with my day with this at the fore-front of my mind and being the anchor to my easily swayed heart.

PS We're in better moods now ;)







No comments:

Post a Comment